Sunday, December 23, 2018

Quirky Quito

After my trip to the Galapagos Islands I felt I couldn't bypass Ecuador's capital city so I spent a few days in Quito.  I had no idea what to expect, other than that it was a capital city at high altitude (not so different from Bogotá!).  In reality Quito is much smaller, slightly higher than Bogotá and very mountainous (surrounded by volcanos).

Whilst there I did a city tour with a guide I'd been put in touch with through other travellers.  We started the day with a ride up a cable car as it was a clear day.





Then we visited various churches and buildings in the historic centre of Quito.  On the Basilico they replaced the gargoyles with Galapagos animals!




On the main plaza people were selling snacks (Ponche and merengue)


This church was all decorated in gold inside.  We weren't allowed to take photos.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compa%C3%B1%C3%ADa_de_Jes%C3%BAs,_Quito


The Government building.


The cathedral.

The Independence Monument.


After a day in Quito I did a train excursion where I passed beautiful countryside and many volcanos (whose names I don't recall).




At one of the stations there was a performance of local dancers.



On my last day I went out of Quito to the Middle of the World (the equator).


Then we went on to the market of Otavalo (about 2 hours out of Quito).  Stopping at nice viewpoints (with Fernando, my driver and guide).


Otavalo market at Plaza de los Ponchos.






San Antonio wood carving market.


There is much more to see in Ecuador of course but that will have to wait for another trip!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm - same guy in more than one photo! He looks like a nice fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you are still as adventurous as always.

    ReplyDelete